Birth & Death Certificates
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services guidelines for obtaining copies of birth, death, marriage, and divorce records protect Missourians from identity theft. Identification is required when requesting vital records from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services in Jefferson City, the City of St. Joseph Health Department, and local health departments throughout Missouri.
To receive a Missouri birth or death certificate through the City of St. Joseph, the following guidelines and regulations are in place:
- Missouri birth and death certificates are issued on the second floor of our office, 904 South 10th Street, St. Joseph, MO 64503, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; or by mail.
- The forms are available in our office or can be printed using these links; Birth Certificate Application (PDF), Death Certificate Application (PDF)
- The fee for birth certificates are $15 per certified copy. Birth certificates can be obtained from 1920 to the present.
- Death certificate fees are $13 for the first certified copy and $10 for any additional copies issued at that time. Death certificates can be obtained from 1980 to the present.
- Identification of the applicant is required; officially issued photo identification including a driver’s license, passport, school, work, or military are acceptable.
- Two alternate forms of identification may be accepted if an applicant does not have a photo identification. Alternate documents must include the applicant’s name and the name of the organization the document came from such as a pay stub or utility bill envelope.
- Vital records certificates are issued only to the person named on the certificate or that person’s parents (who must be named on certificate), siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, children, or legal guardian. When requesting the death certificate of a non-relative for the transfer or sale of property, be prepared to show just cause. The local registrar is responsible for authorizing requests on a case-by-case basis.
- Check, cash, money orders, debit cards, and credit cards are accepted. Visa / MasterCard payments accepted in our office only; they are not accepted as payment by phone or online.
- Requests submitted via mail must be notarized. Please carefully follow all instructions on the application form and submit payment with your request.
- Birth certificates from other states must be ordered through the state in which the birth occurred.
- A birth or death certificate issued by the State of Missouri is a legal document.
- The Missouri Adoptee Rights Act allows an adopted person or the adopted person’s attorney to obtain a copy of an adopted person’s original certificate of birth from the state registrar.
- Applications for passports can be obtained through the U.S. State Department, first time applicants need a certified copy of a birth certificate.
The National Center for Health Statistics site lists how to obtain birth, death, marriage, or divorce certificates from other states. You can also call the Health Department at 816-271-4636 to obtain contact information for out-of-state birth and death certificates.
Expedited service and/or Out-of-State Records
Our office does not accept over-the-phone or online orders. However, for your convenience, documents can be requested by phone or online through an independent company that the State of Missouri has partnered with to provide this service, VitalChek Network, Inc. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®. To further expedite the request, overnight services are offered. Applications can be placed online by phone, toll-free at 877-817-7363.
Changes/Corrections & Helpful Numbers
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services Vital Records Department, located in Jefferson City, Missouri, serves as the state archives for vital records. Any changes or corrections to birth or death records must be processed through this agency.
Please call the following numbers at the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services Vital Records Department for information related to amendments:
|Adding a father's name to a birth record||573-751-6216|
|Processing an adoption or to legitimate a birth||573-522-1715|
|Registration of putative father registry||573-526-1535|